Snake Spiritual Meaning | Snake Spirit Animal | Why You Keep Seeing Snakes

Updated: Jun 8, 2021

At first sight of a snake you might entertain the rush of natural fear. But once you realize the spiritual meaning it will bring you plenty of wisdom, solace and joy within.


SPIRITUAL MEANING OF SNAKES VIDEO

Just a few moments ago I saw a snake slithering through my backyard. It was in the same exact spot that I was during a close eyed meditation only 5 minutes after I had just moved. I stopped in my tracks for 30 seconds which felt just as long as 5 minutes. I starred at it alongside my 15 pound cat who felt he could "handle" it although that snake was 3 times longer than him. I was in shock. All I could do was watch it as it slithered to someone else's front door. With a wide opened mouth, I noticed my neighbor looking at me confused wondering why such shock was tattooed on my face. I pointed to the snake as it jumped up a bush and he casually shrugged assuring me that this was an everyday occurrence. It was quite peculiar and unusual for me but I guess it was apart of my new norm now. Welcome to Florida, huh?


I've never been a fan of snakes although I did get the chance to hold one in my 5th grade class and when the Zoo Man came to my neighborhood. Oddly enough, it's completely different when you hold someone else's pet snake rather than seeing a wild one in your backyard. You would think I would be carried by fear holding one but it was much more calming than seeing this long bold Black Racer Snake casually traveling through the same place I had just been with my eyes closed shut. There's just something about that in which caused me to feel completely uneasy.





During my fear, I texted my husband a photo of the snake telling him it's time to move although we just secured this new home of ours only 2 months ago. The dramatics had begun. But he reeled me back in reminding me that animals come by and stop our day to day moments for spiritual purposes. I mean, I should know that considering I write spirit animal blogs for a living.


He urged me to go ahead and look into it, so here I am diving into the spiritual meaning of snakes with an immense amount of curiosity.


Curious Facts


It is said that snakes can be found everywhere but in Antarctica, Iceland, Ireland, Greenland, and New Zealand. One of the most curious facts about them in my opinion is that not all snakes hatch from eggs. Some are delivered live from their mothers similar to the birth of humans. This fascinating fact brings the realization that we are always learning new things. 70% of snakes lay eggs and then the other 30% give a live birth.


Rattlesnakes and Boas are apart of the 30% of snakes that give a live birth. During the birth process these snakes come out in a very thin membrane then use their egg tooth to free themselves from it.


For the 70% there are four stages, egg, baby snake, juvenile and adult. Most Baby snakes also known as hatchlings, snakelets (from egg) or neonates (newborns by live birth) become independent immediately after entering this world in which is brand new to them. They must find their own food and provide their own protection. Some snakes such as the African Rock Python will provide protection to their babies until they become independent.


Snakes after they are born will stick out their tongue to taste their environment. Weird right? They have something called Jacobson's organs. It aids them when tasting and smelling the particles in the air. They can literally taste the environment and air around them. This fact alone had my jaw dropping down to the floor.

There are about 2900 species of snakes and out of that number there are around 600 that are venomous. Out of the 600 species only 7% of them can kill or severely injure a human. If a snake is born from a venomous species it will be just as venomous as an adult of that same species. This is fascinating because I would assume that the venom is inherited, developed and strengthened over time.


Many people wonder how a snake with no arms, hands or legs could be such a predator. What resource does the snake used to devour its prey ? The answer is that they strangle their prey with their bodies and then swallow them whole. This is the most resourceful thing I've ever heard of. A snake needs nothing but itself and an opportunity to make ends meet.

Juvenile snakes shed or molt their skin about four times a year. This allows them to become bigger as they approach "adulthood." The shed snake skin oftentimes stores parasites which is one reason it is extremely beneficial to shed it. The Moulting (shedding) process is done by the snake rubbing up against a hard surface allow it to be stripped of it's old layer.


Adult snakes shed at least half the amount a year than they did as juveniles. Adulthood for snakes is not much different than their life as juveniles. They begin a slower growth process than they had when they were a snakelet.